Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Fitting Day

Seems a fitting day to begin this Ma'ie Life blog. My beautiful and first grandchild, Sydney, turns 6 years old today. She gave me my grandmother name, Ma'ie, and every time I hear it, my heart smiles, as it does anytime I think of my precious grandchildren, Sydney, Avery and Ben. They are all equally dear to me and each in their own special ways. But I thank Sydney for this lovely name and I am honored to have it.

What is it about this 6th birthday that tugs at my heart so? Maybe it is because she seems to be growing up so fast or that she started school this year or that when I look at her, I can already see a beautiful young lady beginning to emerge. How long will it be that coming to Ma'ie and Dad's and sleeping on the secret couch will be the highlight of her week? Will she give us Princess performances in her sparkling costume, hair in a bun and make-up for a while yet? Will she squeal with delight at the sight of us much longer and run to give huge hugs and kisses? How long until she prefers spending time with her friends? These are very precious times and I cherish every moment. I even admit that I feel a little sad that they are passing so quickly. However, I know that all these wonderful memories will remain and she will only add to them as each day, week and year passes. I will continue to delight in watching her grow and change and my joy will increase with each birthday. How blessed am I among all grandmothers, to be their Ma'ie, to have my own special name and hold my own special place in their sweet hearts.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

What a beautiful first blog entry. I couldn't stop the tears from flowing when I was reading it because of course I am feeling all these same emotions. It is a bittersweet time! I'm so glad you're blogging. : )