Sunday, November 30, 2008

34 Years and Counting...





Once upon a time (in 1956), a little girl named Charlotte met a little boy named Leslie when they were 6 years old and in 1st grade together. They sat at the same table and threw a glance occasionally, but nothing more. Charlotte thought the tall boy with the blonde crewcut hair was cute so one day she wrote him a note... "I love you. Do you love me? Yes____ or No____". Leslie looked at the note, made a mark on it and passed it back. The note said, "Yes_X__". This made Charlotte very happy and even though they rarely spoke, there was an "understanding" that they loved each other. When they were in 4th grade, even the teacher knew they were destined and cast them in the 4th grade play as a couple. That year, however, Leslie's family moved away and he went to a different school. Charlotte and Leslie grew up and through the years others came into their lives that they thought may be the "one", but, alas, it was not to be. THEN, one day (17 years later in 1973) Charlotte was talking with some friends about children writing love notes to each other and she told her story about her love note to a little boy named Leslie. Immediately, a friend said, "Was it Leslie Flowers?" Surprised, she said, "Yes, it was!" He grabbed the phone and started dialing a number while saying, "He is my best friend! And I'm going to see if he remembers you." ... despite my protest! It happened that he did indeed remember me and told my friend that he not only remembered me, but was in love with me! Suddenly, I found myself talking to him on the phone and he was asking me to dinner for Saturday night. He said he had been wanting to do that since 1st grade. :-) We did go out on Saturday night and every other Saturday night until our wedding on Saturday night, November 30, 1974. Don't ever scoff at "Puppy Love", it can be real, and it can last through sickness, health, richer, poorer, good times, bad times, laughter, tears ... wonderful children, precious grandchildren, and on and on! Love evolves, but remains, and will live happily ever after!

4 comments:

Bishop's Mom said...

Happy Anniversary! That is such a sweet love story. You two little love birds are so cute!

Kathleen said...

Awww...this is the first time I think I've heard this whole story. It is so sweet and brought tears to my eyes! You two were always meant to be, and I'm so thankful that after all those years you found each other! Happy 34th Anniversary! Love you both so much!

Melanie said...

I can't believe Bethany never shared this precious story with me. It seems to perfect to be real. Congratulations on 34 years!

My Friends call me Mel said...

I MISS YOU GUYS! Congrats on your anniversary!!!! I love true love stories!!! Thanks for sharing! Its awesome!! HUGS* MEL